One of the most effective techniques for managing the panic you might experience going outside – even before it starts – is to:
Just pause for a moment
TAKE A BREATH
Notice your breathing as you breathe in and out. In through the nose, out through the mouth.
- What thoughts are going through your mind right now?
- Where is your focus of attention?
- What are you reacting to?
- What sensations do you notice in your body?
PULL BACK – PUT IN SOME PERSPECTIVE
- DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK!
- What’s the bigger picture?
- What is another way of looking at this situation?
- What advice would I give a friend?
- What would a trusted friend say to me right now?
- Is this thought a fact or opinion?
- What is a more reasonable explanation?
- How important is this? How important will it be in 6 months time?
- It will pass.
PRACTISE WHAT WORKS – PROCEED
- What is the best thing to do right now?
- What is the most helpful thing for me, for others, for the situation?
- What can I do that fits with my values?
- Where can I focus my attention right now?
- Do what will be effective and appropriate.